Osteosarcoma Treatment by Stage
There is no staging system used to describe the extent of osteosarcoma; therefore, instead of breaking down osteosarcoma treatment by stage, the following article will examine the treatment options for osteosarcoma treatment based on how cases of the disease are classified. In most cases of osteosarcoma, the cancer is classified as being localized, metastatic, or recurrent.
Osteosarcoma Treatment by Stage: An Overview
Unlike most cancers, there is no formal staging system used for cases of osteosarcoma; however, it's still important to determine if the cancer has spread (and if so, how far it has spread) in order to plan treatment.
Osteosarcoma treatment options vary based on:
- Whether the cancer is localized, metastatic, or recurrent (see Osteosarcoma Stages)
- Where the tumor is located
- The patient's age and general health.
In general, osteosarcoma treatment options can include:
- Radiation therapy
While there are no stages used to describe cases of osteosarcoma, most cases of the cancer may be classified as belonging to one of the following three groups:
Treatment of localized osteosarcoma may involve chemotherapy, followed by surgery, which is then followed by adjuvant chemotherapy.
Metastatic disease is cancer that has spread from the place in which it started to other parts of the body. Treatment for metastatic osteosarcoma may include:
- Chemotherapy, followed by surgery to remove the cancer, which is then followed by adjuvant chemotherapy
- Surgery to remove the cancer, followed by adjuvant chemotherapy
- Surgery to remove cancer that has spread to the lungs.
Treatment for recurrent osteosarcoma will depend on:
- Where the cancer recurred
- What kind of treatment was given previously
- Other factors.
In some cases, a clinical trial may be a reasonable treatment option. If the cancer has only come back in the lungs, treatment may entail surgery to remove the cancer in the lungs with or without chemotherapy. If the cancer has come back in other places besides the lungs, treatment may entail combination chemotherapy.